Friday 22 January 2016

140 Days



Ever since starting this project I've become paranoid about getting the dress grubby; it's snow white and our house is rather 'dusty'. I've always been of the opinion that this is good for your health, but it ain't good for my frock. Paper cuts are a no-no too. Pre Christmas, I was chewing my fingers with seasonal stress so I had to abandon the dress for a couple of months. Sock knitting was my saviour.


So, I managed to finish the right hand back bodice of the dress last night. All I need to do to this side now is a 3 needle bind off with the shoulder of the front bodice.. I've never done one of those before so I'll have to traipse off to YouTube to learn.

My sofa. Note the optional sunbeam. 
I keep the dress in a freezer bag on the sofa. Ninja and his ninja friends are barred from my sofa on pain of circular needle or pin injury. Despite this, the dress doesn't look clean. I've worked and reworked some of the parts, and as much as I wash my hands it still seems to have picked up a sheen of 'use'. Because it's cotton I'm a little fearful of washing it in case it looks like a dishcloth when it's done. I'll ponder this one for a while. Maybe knit a swatch and wash it to see.





Despite the magnitude of the task I've set myself, all I really want to do right now is knit socks. I had to go to a training meeting yesterday afternoon and I took my current sock knitting to pass the time during the tea break. These will be the socks for FM's birthday in mid February. I have no idea what the yarn is - the label dissolved into the bowels of my knitting bag years ago, but I have a feeling it's Opal. I started knitting during the tea and biscuits at the beginning and by the end of the meeting I had this. Suffice to say it wasn't a vastly interesting meeting.






This came in the post today, all the way from Germany. It's so exciting to get parcels; especially ones from Germany which are packaged in a environmentally friendly way, with a reusable box (yay!),pretty pink tissue paper and yarn inside. I saw these socks here last week and I knew I had to have this yarn. Alas they will not be for me, but for my friend Cate who loves these colours almost as much as me. I've knitted a fair amount of socks in my time, but none have ever ended up on my feet. Once the wedding is over, the house will be covered in socks for me. I am stashing already.


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait until it's finished, it's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie. I'm a little nervous in case it doesn't fit or suit me, but I'm running out of time so it has to!

      Delete